Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Two Things


There are two things I have learned in the past couple months that have made a big difference in my life.

  1. I have no control over what other people do.

All I have control over is how I react to the things that happen around me. I cannot tell others to do or feel anything. No matter how much it affects me and my life, I cannot make anyone do anything. I can only decide what I am going to do or feel. (I’m still figuring out how much control I actually have over my emotions.)

  1. Things don’t always get better.

Things may get better but they may not. I think for the past few months I have had an enduring attitude. I thought if I just waited out the storm I could then figure out life from the wreckage. Problem is that storm I have been trying to wait out may never end. This life I am living right now may be all I am I going to get, so I better not let life pass me by without me living it.

When I first realized each of these things it was frustrating and I have found myself wishing they weren’t true. But it’s only as I have been able to accept these two things that I have actually been able to find peace and the desire to move forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I can only imagine how hard life is right now. You are in our prayers.

Ashlie Dalton said...

you are right brita. sometimes it seems like accepting those things are half the battle though, right? even if things don't "get better" in the way you might like them to, you will still probably find ways to adapt to the "new way". sometimes things are just hard at first and then after you get used to it, you can find ways to deal with it and make it feel less hard.
sorry, not sure if i'm making any sense, but it did make sense in my head.
thinking of you :)